Health care foundations are coming together as a collective to raise awareness about the essential work they do to support and enhance the delivery of health care in Nova Scotia.
November 27, 2017 marks the first provincially-recognized Healthcare Foundations Day observed by the 41 foundations that directly support the hospitals and health centres operated by Nova Scotia Health Authority. The day is held in recognition of the significant contributions they make to the health system across the province. Through the generous support of donors, these foundation raise and invest millions of dollars every year to support initiatives such as:
- purchase needed medical equipment
- fund hospital construction and renovation projects
- support professional education, learning and development
- sponsor scholarships/bursaries for students pursuing careers in health care
- support research and innovation
Thousands of Nova Scotians help support the work of hospital foundations, including about 500 volunteer board members.
“We share a common goal of supporting the delivery of health services in our communities and improving the lives of Nova Scotians,” said Joe MacDonald, chair of the provincial committee that brings these healthcare foundations together. “Imagine the impact that funding has on your community and loved ones.”
In the past five years alone, these hospital foundations have contributed more than $250-million to support patient care, education and research within Nova Scotia Health Authority.
“The generosity of our communities shines through our Foundations,” said NSHA’s President and CEO Janet Knox. We are thankful for their ongoing work and contributions. Together we are working to improve the care and comfort of our patients and clients and make the health system stronger for Nova Scotians.”
Did you know?
- There are 41 dynamic hospital foundations that support the hospitals and health centres operated by Nova Scotia Health Authority, They are committed to making the health care system stronger for Nova Scotians.
- In the past five years, these hospital foundations have contributed more than $250 million to the province’s health system.
- Every year, Nova Scotia’s hospital foundations buy hundreds of pieces of much-needed medical equipment.
- More than 100 health research projects have benefited from hospital foundation donors this year alone. The impact of this research will have lasting affects for generations to come.
- Thousands of Nova Scotians help support the work of hospital foundations, including about 500 volunteer board members.
- More than 500,000 Nova Scotians have made a donation to a foundation.
Where would your local hospital be without its supporting healthcare foundation?
Help spread the awareness of Healthcare Foundations Day!
Media inquiries & further information contact:
Foundations Day Media Team
Development Officer – Health Services Foundation of the South Shore
(902) 543-4604 ext. 2543